Thursday, October 25, 2012

Taking it In

My flight from Shanghai, China to Bangkok, Thailand arrived on time at midnight.  I went through customs and immigration, picked up my bags and walked out to arrivals looking for a little sign with my name on it.  I had arranged for a place to stay so that I could sleep after 25 straight hours of travel.  

As I walked up and down the aisle looking for my name I wasn't seeing anything.  I walked back and forth, back and forth - sure that I had missed it.  After an hour and a half of walking back and forth I finally came to the realization they had forgotten to come pick me up.  And I still had 16 hours until my flight to Chiang Mai.  I called the number I was given if I had any problems and was told that I could take a taxi to where I was going but it would only bring me close not all the way there, and I couldn't understand the rest of the directions in Thai.  I ran out of change for the pay phone, sat down in a corner and started to cry.

I was exhausted.  In that moment I felt completely inept.  Like there was no way I was going to be able to do this.  I couldn't even figure out how to get to a place to sleep.

I talked with a few friends and they spoke words of encouragement, and made me laugh.  I have to say - I have never been so grateful for technology.  FaceTime is saving my sanity at this point.  

But as I sat I realized it was simple.  I know the address of where I'm going in Chiang Mai - all I need to do is move up my flight.  So I did.  I'm on standby for an 8am flight and really hoping I make it on - but regardless I will be in Chiang Mai no longer than 8 hours from now.  It's the final stretch.  The last leg.

I can do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment