Tuesday, October 23, 2012

What Makes it Worth It


Although I am already on my second flight of the day - it seems completely surreal that I am actually moving.  That I am actually following through with something that I have dreamed of for so long. There were so many days, months... Years - long years - where I thought that I would never get to do this. That I would never have the chance to travel again. That I never thought that I would have the chance to reach the nations for Jesus again.  I don't know why he's allowing me to live a life that is so full of adventure.  I don't understand why He's called me to a life that is so different.   Different in that I am constantly out of my comfort zone.  Different In that I am being asked to go to a place that is so outside of my ordinary. So far past the bounds of what I feel capable of.

But somehow I'm here.  I'm sitting on a plane making my way thousands of miles across the world so that He can speak through me and use me, and reach people.  I feel like if I get to Thailand and manage to settle into the culture and people's lives begin to change - there is no bigger testament of Jesus than that.  Even being physically healed seems easier to believe than to think that me moving to Thailand could change anything.  I have nothing substantial to offer.  I haven't been trained to do this.  I havent spent my life preparing emotionally or mentally for walking through the things that I am going to see.  

A couple of weeks ago I was talking to a friend of mine and he asked if I was ready to encounter the human suffering that I was going to see daily as I worked in the red light district.

My answer was really simple.  No.  I'm not ready.  I'm never going to be ready to encounter the types of things that I am going to see there.  It's inhumane.  It's heart wrenching.  It's not going to settle well, or be ok.

But even though I'm not ready for it - I do know that God has a plan.  And it's good.  So I am going to listen.  Intently, everyday.  Because I know that He is going to tell me who I need to talk to. If I'm listening to where He wants me to go to, and who He wants me to talk to - I'm going to be prepared for that one person, the next conversation.  For that one situation I'm going to come up against next.  

When I think through what I'm doing in a human capacity it is to scary to fathom.  In the past week I have had to part with a lot of people in my life.  I have had to hug kids whom I have spent the last year and a half laughing with, and tell them it's going to be ok and I'll see them again as they cried. In the last 12 hours I had to stand in front of 3 of my best friends and say goodbye.  As each of us said, "This is good.  This is Gods will," I think all of us reassuring each other, as well as ourselves with the statement. It's making me cry now thinking about it, but not just because I'm sad.  I am sad - but also so grateful.  I am leaving Michigan to embark on the greatest adventure of my life - but I had to leave behind the best thing that I've ever had. It's such a stark contrast of emotion.  So bittersweet.

The only thing that makes it worth it is knowing that I'm being obedient to a God who is so loving, and so powerful, and loves me more perfectly than any human in my life - and He's with me every step of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment