Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Settling In

Day 5 here in Thailand, and I'm starting to feel like I could be processing the fact that I'm living here.  Yesterday I was able to meet some of the people that I will be working with, and get an idea of what life will be like here in Thailand. 

In the afternoon I went up to Wongen Cafe, which is run by Lighthouse in Action.  It is a coffee shop/cafe selling espresso drinks, smoothies, meals, and desserts.  I sat and was able to meet some of whom I will be working with as well as go through orientation over Thai culture, and the different areas of Lighthouse in Action.

I learned that... I have a lot to learn.

My main focus at the moment is going to be learning the Thai language.  I will be having Thai lessons one on one 3 days a week, 2 hours a day.  This will give me the ability, obviously, to communicate more effectively with Thai people, but also give me more freedom in living here.  At the moment it is difficult to communicate or know what anything is when I'm out on my own.  Most Thai people know basic english, but it's really difficult to function in society with no ability to speak past basic numbers and greetings.

Aside from my 6 hours of one on one Thai lessons through out the week, I will be focusing my days on working in Wongen.  I won't necessarily be making coffee or serving food (although my years of restaurant/Starbucks experience have prepared me to help in those areas if needed...) but I will have the chance to be around Thai people, practice my language skills, and listening and learning while I'm there.  

One of the amazing things I learned yesterday was that one of the big needs right now is a graphic designer.  Just so happens that I graduated with a degree in graphic design last year :)  So while I'm working at the cafe I can spend time working on graphic design projects for Lighthouse in Action.  Promotional Materials, branding of Wongen, as well as some photography for the website. It's so great to know that the years of hard work that I put in, in school will be put to great use :)

Aside from my days of helping out with design and learning Thai, my focus within Lighthouse in Action will be working with kids.  I will have the opportunity to work in the slums a couple of nights a week with kids there.  I will be partnering with Compassion International who sponsors kids in these slums.  Building relationships with the kids and reaching out to them.  

I will also have the chance to reach out the street kids in the Red Light district. The street kids don't have much.  There are no sponsorships for them, and they work into early morning hours every night on the streets of the red light district selling roses.  These kids are owned by street parents who don't allow them to return home until they've sold their roses. I will be working alongside one of the girls who has built relationships and trust with these kids to start out.  My goal - simply to show them the love of God.  My nights may look like sitting in one area for the night and allowing the kids to come over when they have a break to play a game, or get some food.  To have the opportunity to pray over them.  For them to see some consistency and love in a chaotic existence. 

Right before I left home I was sitting with a friend of mine and I was saying that I was afraid I wouldn't be able to reach the Thai kids because I couldn't speak their language.  My friend has two boys who are 5 and 3, and I spent a lot of time with their family in the months before I left. She reminded me that her boys love me - and most of the time I'm just laughing with them.  There aren't in depth conversations, or a lot of spoken communication. I started to pay attention to my interactions with them in the last few days I was home.  The day before I left I spent a good portion of my morning playing with her three year old.  We didn't talk at all, we jumped over lines in the floor, and laughed.  I love that God has created me to work most effectively not in the business realm, not in a 9-5 atmosphere... He created me to play.  To hang out with kids and show them the love of Jesus by laughing with them, or smiling at them, or playing with them.  That I can do.  I'm actually good at it.

Aside from learning what my days will look like here, I was also able to move into my house yesterday.  I will be living here with my friend Lindsey, when she arrives at the end of November.  We will also host teams that come through to work with Lighthouse in Action short term.  The first team will be arriving in 5 days.  It is a World Race team of 35 people, who will be working in several different areas of Lighthouse in Action.  The 7 people who will focus on working with kids will be living at my house with me, and going into the slums and to work with street kids.

I honestly have no idea what to expect since I haven't even been into the slums, or to meet the street kids yet.  I think I'm just going to have to jump in, and figure it out as I go.

Now that I am all unpacked, 8 days after leaving home,  I am starting to feel more settled.  I'm just looking forward to feeling like I know what I'm doing :)  I may not have a set routine, but now that I've heard what I'll be doing - I am excited to experience it.  To live it. For it to be my life here.

I have so much to learn. So much.  But I'm here, and I'm diving in.  And it's good.

1 comment:

  1. so awesome to hear about all this krispy! so glad that you're getting settled in. :-) and how cool that your graphic design skills are going to come in handy - i love seeing how God plans stuff like that.

    love you tons and we're praying for you!!

    ReplyDelete