Sunday, December 23, 2012

Merriest of Christmas'


I’m sitting on my couch just before 6am on Christmas Eve.  It’s still dark outside, and I can hear the roosters crowing behind the house. There is no snow.  We had to search for several days to find candy canes.  I can hear a gecko chirping on the porch, and smell incense burning in a buddhist spirit house next door.

Christmas in Thailand is quite different from Christmas at home.

I’ve been challenged this week to think; Why do I celebrate Christmas?  It doesn’t really feel like the Christmas season here.  No ugly Christmas sweater parties, or cookie exchanges.  No pictures with Santa, or candlelight services.  No Christmas lights, or snowfall.  I FaceTimed with my family when they got together for Christmas - my grandparents, mom, 7 aunts and uncles, and 8 cousins. I waved, said hi, and couldn’t join in on many of the other festivities for the day. But none of that REALLY has anything to do with Christmas.  It’s great to have pretty decorations and get together with family and friends - but celebrating Christmas is much more than that.

Christmas at home is my favorite time of the year.  Not so much because of all of the parties - I just love the atmosphere. I love snow, and cold weather, and how everything seems to sparkle.  Snow in the sunlight, Christmas trees, and lights as you drive at night.  It seems cliche - but people really are nicer around the holidays.  There’s just a spirit of giving and joy.  

I’ve spent a lot of time this week thinking about Christmas. It’s about celebrating the birth of Jesus.  The birth of our literal savior.  The one who left heaven -  and came to a place full of sin so that He could save each of us.  His life here on earth was a complete sacrifice.  But He willingly died on the cross so that we could have a relationship with God, and our sin would be forgiven.

Thinking through that has given me renewed perspective working with the kids.  I’ve had a much more thankful spirit, because I realize that I know Jesus. I’m not only thankful that I know Him, but that I have the chance to display characteristics of Him to these kids. It’s not just about making them smile, that’s just a perk :) 

This Christmas, I think more than ever, what I’m most looking forward to is celebrating with a truly thankful heart the sacrifice that Jesus made by coming to earth.  Celebrating the obedience and open hearts of Mary and Joseph, and taking time to acknowledge what Jesus really did for us. There may not be snow, or a myriad of Christmas cookies... And I really miss my friends and family - but that doesn’t take the joy out of Christmas.

I was talking to my roommate the other day, recounting the events of the week.  Both of us were laughing to the point of tears at the irony.  As I was driving home from a friends Christmas party on Saturday I couldn’t help but laugh to myself.  My bike had a flat tire, I had lice,  and a head cold.  Merry Christmas!  

But the best part was - I didn’t really care.  There was not part of me that was in a bad mood.  I wasn’t annoyed, or frustrated.  I was tired.... But not unhappy, and honestly think that it was because none of that could take away from what I knew I was really celebrating.  I feel like any one of those things individually could have ruined my day a few weeks ago.  But for now I’m just enjoying Christmas in Thailand, and EVERYTHING it brings my way ;)

Merry Christmas to you all!

1 comment:

  1. Merry Christmas, Krispy! I'm glad you've had some time to reflect on Christmas and Christ. I'm sorry you have lice and a flat tire. I could just picture you girls laughing, so I joined in, on my side of the globe.

    I'll enjoy the sparkly snow on your behalf, and toast to you as I make a snow angel.

    Love,
    Ali

    ReplyDelete