Sunday, December 30, 2012

Where's Waldo: Thai Style


This week was a great week with the kids.  One night I was out and saw one of the boys that I work with for the first time in over a week.  Of the kids that I work with, he's one that I really look out for. When I first met him he wore the same outfit everyday and didn't always have shoes.  We were able to provide new clothes and shoes for him during Project: Christmas Warmth. I know that his home life is extremely difficult, and basic needs are not always met for him.  Two weeks ago when I saw him he didn't have shoes again.  I asked him what happened and he just kept telling me he didn't have shoes anymore.  He asked if I would get him flip flops, and I promised I would.  I carried flip flops everyday for a week and would go out looking for him at night, but couldn't find him.  So when I saw him last week I was overjoyed - until I realized I forgot his shoes at home.

He had brought a friend with him and asked if I would buy shoes for him as well.   I had seen this kid frequently around the city selling flowers, but had never been able to connect with him.  I agreed to buy him shoes, and he made me pinky promise that I would bring both of their shoes the following night.

I pinky promised three times, and you can't break a pinky promise.

As I was driving home that night I realized that these kids really trust me. They're bringing their friends to me who are in need, because they know that I'll follow through.

I went home and got his flip flops hoping that I would be able to find him that night so he wouldn't have to go another day without shoes.   As I went back out I realized that my job here is like a giant game of Where's Waldo - except Waldo is disguised as a little kid selling flowers.  I drive all over the city looking for my kids selling flowers in bars and restaurants hoping that I will be able to find them and make sure they've been able to eat dinner.  And that they have things like shoes.  I didn't find Waldo that night - but knew with three pinky promises I would see him the next day.

The following night I sat waiting for the kids with two new pair of shoes.  First I saw the new kid.  I gave him his shoes, and he thanked me with a huge grin on his face.  He went to find my other kid and he came back and sat next to me, looked up and asked if I had his shoes.  I said yes, and handed them to him and he put them on with a huge smile.  They fit perfectly, and he didn't have to walk around with no shoes anymore.

We played games for hours that night.  Checkers. Angry birds. We drew, and read books... When it was time for them to go we said goodbye and walked down the street.  We saw the sister of one of the kids and I asked if she had eaten dinner.  She said no, only candy.  So I was able to buy her and her brother dinner.  On our way back to the bike I saw two more of my kids.  We talked for a minute and laughed, and then I drove home.

These kids are what makes it worth it.  Playing Where's Waldo can be frustrating day after day. And exhausting. But when I find them sitting at a booth in a restaurant resting,  riding a bike along the moat, or walking by the boxing ring - it's always worth it.  Even if it takes me days of searching for them, it's always worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment